Saturday, July 27, 2013

Mango Pickles



Oh, yes!  Mango pickles!  Sweet and spicy deliciousness.  I actually bought these mangoes for my morning smoothies, but since I bought very under ripe ones I was anxious to try pickling them.  I think I might try to pickle anything.  I may need help…


Mango Pickles


2 very under ripe mangoes

4 chilies (Thai would be best, but I used Serrano because I had them!)

¾ c white vinegar

¾ c seju or sake (rice wine of some sort)

¼ c cider vinegar

½ tsp salt

1 tbsp sugar

Juice of 1 lime

Peel and slice the mangoes in to whatever size you want them, but not too thick so they will have a uniform taste.  Slice the chilies.  Place them in your container; I used 2 one pint jars. 

On the stove, put in the remaining ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat.  Bring to just a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt.  Pull the pan off the heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool.

Pour the brine over the mangoes and chilies, leaving headroom.  Allow to cool completely on the counter before putting the lids on and storing them in the refrigerator.  Let them sit for 1 day to develop flavors and should keep for a couple of weeks.

YUM!
PS: these turned out pretty darned warm, but oh so delicious! If you are only a moderate weenie like me, cut back by a pepper or two.  I find that a good ratio is one and a half Serrano peppers per pint.  If you don't like heat, these aren't for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment